Baobab is the common name of the Adansonia tree – this ‘super-fruit’ is found inside hard pods that hang upside-down from the tree. It has a delectable citrus flavour. It is an ingredient in many bodybuilding and fitness supplements as well as in vitamins/mineral formulas.
Baobab fruit is high in
- potassium (4 x that of bananas)
- magnesium (5 x that of avocados)
- vitamin A
- thiamin or vitamin B1
- vitamin B6
- antioxidant / anti-ageing
- prebiotic properties
- vitamin C – contributing to healthy blood vessels, bones, cartilage, gums, skin and teeth.
BAOBAB SMOOTHIE POWER
Be creative – Please share your amazing baobab smoothie recipes with us and we’ll publish them at our webstore!
OTHER HEALTH BENEFITS
- strengthens the immune system and increases iron absorption.
- energy booster – less tiredness / fatigue
- high in fibre, both soluble and insoluble (prebiotic) = healthy gut
- assists with bowel regularity
- helpful in weight management
- soluble fibre assists with slowed release of sugar into the bloodstream, thus reducing energy spikes
- Traditionally used to relieve diarrhoea, constipation and dysentery
CREAMY HOT CHOCOLATE BAOBAB DRINK .. AND IT’S PURE HEALTH!
Who knew? Baobab powder has powers beyond those well documented health-giving properties we love so much. We’ve discovered that it gives hot chocolate a smooth and creamy finish, much like chocolate mousse in hot drink form. To fully enjoy this Bao-choco treat one needs to get the ratio of cacao to baobab just right. We think we’ve got it, and can’t wait for you to try it. It’s exceptionally delicious with the whipped coconut cream!
- 2 cups milk use almond milk for a dairy-free version
- 3 heaped Tbsp cacao powder
- 1 heaped tsp baobab powder
- 2-3 tsp agave crystals / syrup or honey (adjust to taste)
- Pinch of Himalayan or other pure salt
Takes 10 minutes, serves 2
- Pour milk into a small saucepan and warm up slowly over a medium heat.
- When warm enough to test with your finger without burning yourself, add the rest of the ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Continue heating until it reaches your desired temperature.
- Serve (with some Eureka Mills rusks) and banish winter!
Tip: to make it easier to combine with the milk, put the cacao powder through a sieve.