This is just an extract from a detailed document posted by Dr Mercola and can be found here :
Let’s become well informed and aware of what’s going on and coming our way!
Other Examples of Dangerous GM Foods
In addition to corn, there are six other GM foods currently on the market. And all of them have been linked to potential health problems.
- Soy — GM soy is highly allergenic and accounts for about 90 percent of soybeans planted in the U.S. It is present in about 70 percent of all food products found in American supermarkets. Rats fed GM soy had increased mortality, lower birth weight, and damaged sperm and reproductive ability.
- Cottonseed (used in vegetable cooking oils) — Sheep that grazed on GM cotton eventually died after developing severe irritation and black patches in their intestines, and enlarged bile ducts.
- Canola — Three different mutant weeds resistant to three common herbicides – Monsanto’s Roundup, Cyanamid’s Pursuit, and Aventis’ Liberty – were produced when Canadian farmers began planting GM canola seeds.
- Sugar from sugar beets — Sugar beets easily cross pollinate, meaning GM beets could “infect” organic varieties and destroy their value.
- Hawaiian papaya — GM papaya was introduced in 1998. After six years, a test was conducted on 20,000 papaya seeds. Eighty percent were taken from organic farms. Half of the seeds were found to be genetically modified! This means that it’s virtually impossible to safeguard non-GM crops from GM crops.
- Zucchini and yellow squash — GM squash contains 68 times less beta-carotene and four times more sodium than non-GM varieties.
How You Can Avoid GM Foods, and Help Others Do the Same
Most people want to avoid GM foods but it is virtually impossible to do so, since the government prevents GMO labeling.
However, Jeffery Smith has compiled an excellent resource for you to avoid the government block of information. It is the free Non-GMO Shopping Guide. Print it out, and share it with your friends and family, and post it to your social networks.
Alternatively, you can download a free iPhone application, available in the iTunes store. You can find it by searching for ShopNoGMO in the applications.
If you’re feeling really ambitious you can also order the Non-GMO Shopping Tips brochure in bulk, and bring them to the grocery stores in your area. Talk to the owner or manager and get permission to post them in their store.
Monsanto’s GM corn is genetically engineered to ward off rootworm by producing its own pesticide, a toxin called Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt toxin).
In a 2005 article, Jeffrey Smith describes the findings from animal studies, in which rats developed a number of significant reactions when fed Bt corn, including:
- Increased basophils, which is a typical indication of allergies
- Increased lymphocytes and white blood cells, which is an indication of a response to infections, toxins and various diseases including cancer
- Blood pressure problems
- Increased blood sugar levels
- Kidney inflammation
- Liver and kidney lesions, and other changes
In Germany and the Philippines, GM corn has also been blamed for the deaths of buffaloes, cows, horses, and poultry.